Solar power is a new trend, which promotes the conservation of energy. Solar lights function by converting the sun’s energy into electricity. As a result, they are able to light up your house, without you having to rely on a power company.
While the concept of solar lights is relatively simple, it is important for you to understand its functioning, so you can be confident about investing in this literal source of light. In this guide, you can learn everything you need to know about solar lights.
What are solar lights?
Solar lights are illuminating devices, which are powered by solar energy. Solar power is generated when the energy from the sun is converted into operable electricity. This can be done in two ways. The sunlight is either collected from thermal energy (heat) or it undergoes a photovoltaic effect, which converts the sun’s rays into electricity.
The photovoltaic cells are placed in solar panels, which facilitate the process. Hence, the energy generated from these panels can be used in residential or commercial areas. Solar energy, which is converted into electric energy, can be used to power refrigerators, air conditioners, water pumps, electric fences, and aerating ponds.
The solar lights employ a similar method to generate electricity. They are built with an added solar panel, which facilitates the conversion into electricity. As a result, solar lights are able to illuminate your home, even during a power outage.
How does outdoor solar lighting work?
Outdoor solar lighting requires direct access to the sun’s energy. Hence, solar light can be placed outside of the house, such as garden, porch, or front lawn. Once the lights gather the energy from the sun, the lights are charged. This way, they can still remain powered on, even after the sunsets. Once the sun comes back up, the solar lights automatically start recharging.
Typically, solar lighting comprises of LED bulbs, which can provide ample light to illuminate your garden. Therefore, solar lights can be an ideal way to light up the outer region of your home.
What are the parts of a solar energy system?
A solar energy system comprises of several components including:
- Solar panels: Solar panels are used to capture energy from the sun.
- Inverter: The inverter converts the energy into usable electricity.
- Racking: Racking refers to the system on which the solar light is fitted on.
- Batteries: Solar lights also include batteries, which function as energy storage.
- Charge controller: The charge controller manages the rate at which the batteries charge from the solar energy system.
What are the benefits of outdoor solar lighting?
Outdoor solar lighting has numerous advantages. In addition to being an environmentally-friendly manner of generating electricity, solar lighting can provide you with unlimited light, as it relies on the sources of renewable energy. If you invest in solar lighting, you can enjoy the ensuing benefits:
- Reduced electricity bills – As solar-powered lights use the sun’s energy to generate electricity, they can significantly reduce your electric bill. With outdoor solar lighting, you can illuminate the outer region of your house, without having to worry about hiking up the electricity bill.
- Increase in property value -If you mount up the outdoor solar lights in your house, you can essentially increase the property value of your home. Hence, an investment in outdoor solar lights will be a gift that keeps on giving.
- Back-up during a power outage- Living in an area that frequently undergoes power outage is arduous. With outdoor solar lighting, your house can remain lit, even when you do not have any electricity.
How long does outdoor solar lighting last?
Every component of solar lights has a varying life span. For instance, the solar panels integrated into the design can effectively work for twenty-five years. After the twenty-five year mark, the solar panels are still functional, but they tend to decline in terms of their efficiency. Similarly, other components of outdoor solar lights, such as the inverters, require a change in ten to twelve years. Whereas, batteries have to undergo a frequent change. Considering this, outdoor solar lighting is a reliable and affordable investment.
Are there different designs for outdoor solar lights?
Outdoor solar lights do not look as robotic as you may perceive them to be. In fact, outdoor solar lights come in a variety of designs, sizes, and shapes. You can purchase a light that can be mounted up on the wall, or you can invest in a dancing solar light to beautify your garden area. You can buy the following types of solar lights:
- Spike solar lighting– These can be fitted in the ground.
- Solar gate lights– Solar gate lights can be added to a door, hedge, or fence.
- Solar bollard garden lights- The solar bollard garden lights can be used to illuminate your garden.
- Dancing solar lights– These can be added to create a motion effect with solar lights.
- Solar street lights– Solar street lights can be added to your patio or front door, to ensure a brightened house.
- L-shaped solar light– The L-shaped solar lights can direct all the light to create an illuminated space.
Can solar lights be installed without professional assistance?
Unlike solar panels, solar lights do not require professional assistance, during the installation phase. Once you purchase the lights, you can easily install them yourself. However, if you are not savvy with the tools, you can hire an electrician to help you with the installation process. In order to install solar garden lights, you are required to take a few simple steps:
- Think about where you want to place the lights
- Add foundation stakes. If foundation stakes are not part of your garden lights, you can add light posts.
- Add remote solar panels ( if necessary)
Investing in solar light is an environmentally-friendly option. By choosing this option for your self, you can increase the value of your home, and benefit from the untapped potential of the sun. So, now that you are an expert on solar lights, you can purchase some for your home!