A home doesn’t feel like home if it is all dark and gloomy. Lighting is an important part of any place, especially your home. But, if you are getting your first time or have got your dream home built, along with other housing questions, you must have some lighting questions that can cloud your mind. And we are here to clear those clouds of confusion.
5 FAQs about Home Lighting
What types of light bulbs should we use?
Deciding on the right lightbulbs for your home will greatly affect the ambiance. There are three types of bulb types that you can use in various lamps and settings like bronze wall lamp, table lamps, etc.
- Incandescent bulbs: These bulbs are known for their warm, soft light –mostly yellowish. However, as the technology is advancing, we are understanding that incandescent bulbs have a shorter lifespan.
- LED bulbs: LED bulbs are highly energy-efficient and long-lasting –as you must have heard in advertisements. The best thing is that they come in various colors and hues, which means they can be used in absolutely anything.
- CFL bulbs: Compact fluorescent bulbs are also energy-efficient and alternative to incandescent bulbs.
How do I determine the right amount of light for a room?
The amount of light needed in a room depends on the room’s purpose and size. As a general rule, always remember:
- Living areas: Add ambient, task, and accent lighting to create a great space. For example, if you are placing 4-6 elegant Foyer wall lamps around your living room, then you’ll also need to add ambient lighting to brighten the whole room.
- Kitchens and workspaces: Opt for bright, task-oriented lighting to effectively illuminate countertops and work areas. Think about adding task lighting like chandeliers over the counters and dining tables.
- Bedrooms: Choose softer, ambient lighting to promote relaxation and comfort. This is important because your bedroom is a place where you want to unwind after getting tired after a whole day.
What is the difference between warm light and cool light?
Warm light is a concept that comes from fire –it has a yellowish hue that gives the soft glow of incandescent bulbs. But cool light has a bluish-white hue that is often used in kitchens, bathrooms, and task-oriented spaces where bright and focused light is needed.
How can I become more energy-efficient with lighting?
There are many ways to improve your home’s energy efficiency with lighting; some ways are:
- Switch to LED bulbs: LED bulbs consume less energy than incandescent and CFL bulbs and last longer –it’s a win-win situation.
- Use dimmer switches: dimmer switches mean that you can control the brightness of lights –lower light means less energy usage.
What are the latest trends in home lighting?
We are living in a technological era, and that is what makes up the trend in lighting.
- Smart lighting Means you can control the electronics (lighting included) through your phone or voice command like Alexa or Google.
- Statement fixtures: Light fixtures, like oversized pendant lights and sculptural chandeliers, are becoming popular as focal points in homes.
- Vintage-inspired bulbs: Vintage-inspired filament bulbs are making a comeback from the past; you can say the past is the new modern.